Sunday, June 6, 2010

Summers in Japan...Cicadas.





One of the first things that come to mind when I think about summers in Japan is the drowning sounds of the cicadas. These sounds are a reminder that summer has officially come. They live underground for most of their lives, then emerge when they are ready to mate. The "singing" that you hear are what would be mating calls.


They are harmless creatures that hang out on the barks of trees and as a child I would try and catch them with nets. Some people find the sound of them annoying, but I find it very nostalgic and almost an essential part of summer in Japan. I also find them quite melodious and knowing how short their lives are after they emerge, quite frankly, I would be singing that loud too. They are the perfect lullaby to falling asleep after eating some cold noodles, laying in front of a fan with a towel as a blanket, the sound of Japanese windchimes in the distance...

Words for today:

Natsu (nah-tsu)- Summer

Semi(Seh-me)-Cicada

No comments:

Post a Comment